Self-Published/Local Author Guidelines
Congratulations on publishing a book!
If you are an author local to Sacramento, we can possibly accept your book for our Local Authors shelf. If you’re an author outside of Sacramento, but would like us to consider selling your book in our store, please read our criteria and your options below. While we would love to be able to accept every self-published book, we don’t have the space or staff resources to accept all indie-published books.
As a service to Sacramento area self-published authors, Capital Books offers a consignment sales program as a 60/40 split of any book sales (you keep 60%, and we retain 40%).
We purchase through your distributor
If your book is available through a popular distributor (not Amazon), please list that on the form. We consider Amazon to be a direct competitor of ours and will not ever purchase any books through them. We will not carry books published by KDP or AuthorHouse.
Capital Books defines “self-published” as any author who has paid (or otherwise arranged) to have their work printed, either personally or through a professional self-publish.
Use of a printing service, such as Amazon Kindle Direct, Xlibris, or Lulu. Authors who start their own publishing companies to publish their own writing are considered self-published. Books published by small presses that don’t distribute their books through Ingram or similar distributors with normal bookseller terms (40% discount and returnable) are also considered self-published.
Does your book meet these requirements?
Please read the following guidelines. Your book:
- Must appear professionally produced. Was the cover designed by a graphics professional? Was it copy edited by a professional?
- Should have received at least three book reviews from a professional review organization (e.g., not your friends/family). If you need assistance with finding reputable review companies, we can refer you to some.
- Must refer your followers to Capital Books, instead of Amazon, to purchase your book from your website and social media. We ship anywhere in the U.S.
- Have an ISBN must be assigned to the book and printed on the back cover.
- Must be priced comparably to other titles of its size and genre.
- Must be distributed by Ingram offering a full 40% discount and be returnable.
- May not contain any racist, sexist, homophobic, or overtly dogmatic content.
- We don’t accept authors who refer readers to competitor bookstores and online retailers on the acknowledgment page, or anywhere else within the bound pages of the book. This includes bookmarks.
- Understand that Capital Books will not market your book or put up posters or bookmarks for it.
Please understand that books that do not meet all the guidelines above will not be considered.
Submission guidelines for consignment books
Authors must agree to the following terms:
- Authors must list Capital Books as a retail location prominently on their website and marketing materials. The more you encourage your readers to come into our store, the more your book will sell here! The initial consignment period is three months.
- Due to space limitations, we will accept only two copies to start with. If your book sells at least one copy during that period, Capital Books may choose to extend that period for an additional three-month period until all copies have sold. Once all copies have sold, Capital Books will contact you regarding restock and issue you a check for 60% of the retail cost of each book.
If your book fails to sell during its first or any subsequent consignment period—or if Capital Books wishes to return your books for any other reason—we will contact you to issue you a check for any sold copies and return your unsold books. Authors are responsible for all return shipping costs, and Capital Books is not responsible for any loss or damages incurred in the returns process. If you fail to make arrangements for pick-up or return of your books in four weeks following notification, they will be donated.
If your book meets the above requirements, please fill out the form below. One of our staff members will reach out to you shortly.
3,225 total views, 9 views today